I see that more and more (climate) activist groups are using #Telegram
. I worry about this. Please read why:
- Telegram groups are not end-to-end encrypted.
- Meta-data: Telegram can see who are a group member.
- Although they say the messages are encrypted on their servers (with a home-made encryption protocol), they are the ones having the keys, so in theory they can also see what’s said in the group.
- There are examples of groups that were deleted by Telegram. Although these where ISIS and criminal groups, remember that Telegram has the power to do this.
- You can only sign-up with your phone number.
- Only the Telegram clients (apps) are open source, not the code they use on their servers.
- Telegram is founded, owned and funded by the Russian billionaire Pavel Durov. Although he’s anti-Putin, he’s a (American style) libertarian and of course a capitalist.
Please find something better folks!